Michael C. Cusick, M.D.
Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Specialist in Shoulder & Elbow Surgery
Michael C. Cusick, M.D. is an Orthopedic Surgeon with fellowship training in Shoulder & Elbow surgery serving the Houston area. He also serves as an assistant professor at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. Originally from Baton Rouge, Dr. Cusick attended the University of Texas at Austin where he completed an undergraduate Bachelor of Science degree in Human Biology/Immunology. He then returned to Louisiana State University Medical School in New Orleans where he was elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society for top ten percent academic achievement.
Dr. Cusick went on to complete his internship and residency training at the renowned Campbell Clinic in Memphis, TN. This residency program is known for producing well rounded general orthopedic surgeons and includes a significant trauma and joint reconstruction experience. While there, he provided orthopedic coverage for local high schools, Rhodes College, the Memphis Redbirds, and the Memphis Grizzlies.
At the completion of residency, Dr. Cusick went onto complete a Shoulder && Elbow surgery fellowship at the Florida Orthopaedic Institute in Tampa, FL with Drs. Mark Frankle and Mark Mighell. He performed a large volume of shoulder and elbow replacements, including many revision surgeries. Additionally, he provided orthopedic coverage for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as well as the New York Yankees spring training camp.
Dr. Cusick was drawn to The University of Texas at Houston because of his desire to be involved in research and teaching. He has multiple publications in peer-reviewed journals and currently serves as an editorial reviewer for the Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. His interests and areas of expertise after completing his rigorous fellowship include fractures/trauma, arthroscopy, and reconstruction (total joint replacement) of the shoulder and elbow.
- 2020 – present Fondren Orthopedic Group, L.L.P.
Shoulder & Elbow Surgeon
Texas Orthopedic Hospital
- 2014 – 2020 Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Shoulder & Elbow Surgeon
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
- 2013 – 2014 Florida Orthopaedic Institute
Shoulder & Elbow Surgery Fellowship
Directors: Drs. Mark Frankle and Mark Mighell
- 2008 – 2013 Campbell Clinic Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program
University of Tennessee Graduate Medical Education
- 2004 – 2008 Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans
Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA)/Doctor of Medicine
New Orleans, LA
- 1999 – 2004 University of Texas at Austin
Bachelor of Science, Human Biology/Immunology
- 2013 – 2014 Florida Orthopaedic Institute
Research Director: Mark Frankle, M.D.
Focus of Research: Shoulder Arthroplasty
- 2009 – 2013 Campbell Clinic/University of Tennessee
Research Director: Thomas Throckmorton, M.D
Focus of Research: Shoulder & Elbow Surgery
- 2003 – 2004 Experimental Obesity Laboratory at Pennington Biomedical Research Center
Undergraduate Research Assistant
Focus of Research: Alteration of Neuropeptide Y (NPY) levels in the Central Amygdala (CeA) and the effects on anxiety in the rat brain.
- 2003 Waggoner Center for Alcohol and Addiction Research (University of Texas at Austin)
Undergraduate Research Assistant
Focus of Research: Neuroanatomical basis of cocaine and alcohol addiction
- 2018 - Simon P, Diaz M, Cusick M, Santoni B, Frankle M. 3D Image-based Morphometric Analysis of the Scapular Neck Length in Subjects Undergoing Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty. Clin Anat. 2018 Jan;31(1):43-55. doi: 10.1002/ca.22911. Epub 2017 Jul 27. PMID: 28514491.
- 2017 - Cusick MC, Otto RJ, Clark RE, Frankle MA. Outcomes of Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty for Patients With Parkinson’s Disease: A Matched Cohort Study. Orthopedics. 2017 Jul 1;40(4):e675-e680. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20170509-03. Epub 2017 May 15. PMID:28504808.
- 2015 - Hartzler RU, Steen BM, Hussey MM, Cusick MC, Cottrell BJ, Clark RE, Frankle MA. Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty for Massive Rotator Cuff Tear: Risk Factors for Poor Functional Improvement. Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. 2015 Nov; 24(11): 1698-706. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2015.04.015. Epub 2015 Jul 11. PMID: 26175311
- 2015 - Steen BM, Cabezas AF, Santoni BG, Hussey MM, Cusick MC, Kumar AG, Frankle MA. Outcome and Value of Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty for Treatment of Glenohumeral Osteoarthritis: a Matched Cohort. Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. 2015 Mar 11. pii: S1058-2746(15)00043-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2015.01.005. PMID: 25769903
- 2015 - Cusick MC, Hussey MM, Steen BM, Hartzler RU, Clark RE, Cuff DJ, Cabezas AF, Santoni BG, Frankle MA. Glenosphere Dissociation After Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty. Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. 2015 Feb 2. pii: S1058-2746(14)00686-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2014.12.019. PMID: 25655458
- 2014 - Hussey MM, Steen BM, Cusick MC, Cox JL, Marberry ST, Simon P, Cottrell BJ, Santoni BG, Frankle MA. The Effects of Glenoid Wear Patterns on Patients with Osteoarthritis in Total Shoulder Arthroplasty: an Assessment of Outcomes and Value. Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. 2014 Dec 2. pii: S1058-2746(14)00542-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2014.09.043. PMID: 25487904
- 2014 - Frankle MA, Cusick MC. Complications in Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. Shoulder Concepts 2014 – Revision of Shoulder Arthroplasty. Nice Shoulder Course 2014.
- 2013 - Cusick MC, Cottrell BJ, Cain RA, Mighell MA. Low Incidence of Tendon Re-rupture after Distal Biceps Repair Using Cortical Button and Interference Screw. Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. 2014 Oct;23(10): 1532-6. doi: 10.1016/j/jse/2014.04.013. PMID: 25220201
- 2013 - Cusick MC, Bonnaig NS, Azar FM, Mauck BM, Smith RA, Throckmorton TW. Accuracy and Reliability of the Mayo Elbow Performance Score. The Journal of Hand Surgery. 2014 Jun; 39(6): 1146-50. PMID: 24656392
- 2005 - Primeaux SD, Wilson SP, Cusick MC, York DA, Wilson MA. Effects of Altered Amygdalar Neuropeptide Y Expression on Anxiety-related Behaviors. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005 Sep; 30(9): 1589-1597. PMID: 15770236
- 2019 - Lindbloom BJ, Cusick MC, Mighell M. Treatment of Periprosthetic Fractures of the Shoulder, In: Complex and Revision Shoulder Arthroplasty, An Evidence-Based Approach to Evaluation and Management. Tashjian, RZ ed., 199-204, 2019
- 2019 - The Unstable Reverse Consensus Panel. 25th Annual Tampa Shoulder Course. February 7-9, 2019. Tampa, FL.
- 2019 - Distal Humerus Open Reduction Internal Fixation Technique with Stryker Plating System. 25th Annual Tampa Shoulder Course. February 7-9, 2019. Tampa, FL.
- 2019 - Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty for Rotator Cuff Tears. Texas Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting. February 2, 2019. Houston, TX.
- 2018 - Hemiarthroplasty/Resurfacing has Great Outcomes in My Hands. 62nd Ed T. Smith Orthopaedic Lectureship. A Comprehensive Approach to the Shoulder: Arthroscopy, Arthroplasty, and Fracture Care. November 17, 2018. Houston, TX.
- 2018 - Make It Easy – Put a Patch On It. 62nd Ed T. Smith Orthopaedic Lectureship. A Comprehensive Approach to the Shoulder: Arthroscopy, Arthroplasty, and Fracture Care. November 17, 2018. Houston, TX.
- 2016 - Total Elbow Arthroplasty with the Discovery Elbow System. DonJoy Surgical Upper Extremity Round Table. March 18-20, 2016. San Diego, CA
- 2015 - Injuries to the Ulnar Collateral Ligament. 14th Annual Sports Medicine Update. Second Baptist School. June 22-23, 2015. UT Physicians Sports Medicine/Ironman Sports Medicine Institute.
- 2015 - Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty in Patients with Parkinson’s Disease. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery Annual Meeting 2015. Las Vegas, NV.
- 2014 - Incidence of Tendon Re-rupture after Distal Biceps Repair Using Cortical Button and Interference Screw. Foundation for Orthopaedic Research and Education Orthopaedic Research Day 2014. Tampa, FL.
- 2014 - Mio-RSA Complications and Revisions. Nice Shoulder Course 2014. Nice, France. Presented by Dr. Mark Frankle.
- 2011-2012 - Accuracy and Reliability of the Mayo Elbow Performance Score. Mid-America Orthopaedic Society Annual Meeting 2012 & Tennessee Orthopaedic Society Annual Meeting 2011.
- 2011 - Painful Os Peroneum Syndrome. Campbell Clinic Resident Lecture Education. Memphis, TN.
- 2014 to present Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
- 2020 – present Joint Replacement Taskforce CPC Subcommittee Memorial Hermann
- 2019 – present Opioid Management CPC Subcommittee Memorial Hermann
- 2019 – present Orthopedics & Sports Medicine CPC Subcommittee Memorial Hermann
- 2017 – present Utilization Review Committee Memorial Hermann Northeast Hospital
- 2018 - Chief of Surgery at Memorial Hermann Northeast Hospital
- 2012 – 2013 Campbell Clinic Resident Liaison for AAOS
- 2020 – 2022 American Shoulder & Elbow Society Fellowship Committee
- 2020 AAOS Appropriate Use Criteria for The Management of Rotator Cuff Pathology
- 2019 to present American Shoulder & Elbow Society Abstract Review Panel
- 2014 American Shoulder & Elbow Society Subcommittee on Value
- 2005 – 2007 LSU Medicine Curriculum Evaluation Committee
- 2017 to present American Shoulder & Elbow Society Candidate Member
- 2012 to present Mid-American Orthopaedic Association (MAOA)
- 2012 to present Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- 2009 to present Fellow of American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- 2008 to present Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society
- 2004 – 2007 Aesculapian Society
- 2016 – present American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 2008 – present Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society
- 2003 – 2004 University Honors, College of Natural Sciences
- 2002 Sigma Chi Academic Scholarship
- 1999 Dean’s Honor Roll, College of Engineering
- 2006 – 2007 LSU Student Run Adult Homeless Clinic
- 2006 Habitat for Humanity
Helped rebuild houses post-Katrina in the upper ninth ward of New Orleans
- 2005 Hurricane Katrina Shelter Volunteer
Managed treatment and care of refugees in Baton Rouge
- 2004 – 2005 Camp Tiger
Committee chair for both fundraising and public relations
- 2002 – 2003 Fraternity Fundraising Chairman
Planned and coordinated a charitable event for 4,000 guests
- 1999 Special Olympics
Assisted elderly and handicapped on Louisiana State University campus
- 1998 Volunteens
Fed the homeless at the local Food Bank
- Running, golf, soccer, snow skiing, college football Spending time with family and friends